Monday, January 19, 2009

What a wonderful few days!!!

I know it’s been a while since my last post, and I really resolve to write more often. The last few days have just been so amazing I wanted to sit back and just enjoy it. I’ll try to go in order.

Saturday morning Michael was playing with his Thomas recycling center. It has spaces for glass, plastic and can cargo. Also, we have been recycling at home as long as Michael can remember. With this background, my brother-in-law decided to show Michael a short video on how paper is made. Michael was so fascinated, he asked Dan to show him videos on glass and cans as well. It’s the first time he has used google to look something up, and paid attention!

Then, Saturday afternoon, Steve took Michael to the pool. Michael finally made the connection between the flag on our license plate and the flag flying on the pole. He spent the rest of the day talking about the US Flag and the Maryland flag. We looked them up on google images and printed him off 4x6 flags that he could carry around. I am planning to make a little photo album of state flags and throw in capitals too. Who knows, maybe he’ll learn some geography.

Michael has always ‘known’ that his grandparents live in Pennsylvania, and that his other Uncles are in Florida and Massachusetts. After the flag discussion, Michael wanted to talk about other states and look them up on the map. He looked all over the map, found states he knew, and asked lots of questions. I thought I was going to burst!

That was pretty much the weekend. Today, we took Michael for a follow-up appointment with Dr. Megson. It was a wonderful appointment, and she had a ton of great things for us to try. We always follow the low and slow rule, but it’s still a lot of stuff for the next few months. One of the things I’m most excited about is trying OSR. I’ve heard so much about it, but didn’t know if she would be willing to try it. Lucky for us, she had participated in a Defeat Autism Now! Think Tank over the weekend and was really excited by it, too. So, as soon as it comes in, we’ll be trying it.

The very best thing was last. After Michael’s appointment, he was in the waiting area while I checked out – playing with another boy!!! Appropriately!! They were playing in a little ball pit together, throwing and rolling balls, jumping, and laughing together. They even had a few short conversations about what they were doing. I was so happy, I didn’t want to leave. But, then the other boy left and it was time to go. I think I floated out of the building.

No comments: