Monday, July 25, 2011

Accountable Kids, Day One!

So, we started the Accountable Kids program with Michael this morning. He had seen the task board with his name on it over the weekend and was very curious about what it was and how it worked. Last night I walked him through all his reminder cards and showed him how he could flip over each card as he finished a task. I explained that this was a way for him to know exactly what he needed to do before he could play. He seemed curious and excited about it, so I had high hopes for this morning.

Michael had trouble sleeping last night, so he had a hard time waking up this morning. But, he came downstairs, looked at his board, saw which cards he could flip over right away, and gave me a big smile. Before I knew what was going on, he had rushed off to brush his teeth so he could flip that card, too. I didn't have to say a word! It still took him a little time to get through breakfast, but he ate it all and then asked if we could wait for the bus outside. This has to have been the smoothest morning we've had in ages!

I know it's only the first day of the program, and I'm not doing everything we're supposed to - I am at a complete loss for how to use the tickets with Michael. He sees all the pegs on the board and wants to know what they are all for. He did seem interested in finding out more about the date cards and the tickets, so I'll have to come up with something.

So, for day one, we're off to a great start. I can't wait to see what happens next!

No comments: