Saturday, January 10, 2009

A spoonful of sugar

I apologize that I disappeared this week, and for a very stream of conscious post to follow. It's been a pretty good week for Michael but a pretty rough one for me. They announced a huge downsizing at work, and it's just been very sad. Thankfully, I still have my job, but a lot of very good people will be losing theirs.

One of Michael's new favorite movies is Mary Poppins, where losing a job is a very minor part of the movie. It's just a few short scenes in the movie, but does make me sad every time we get to that part. On the other hand, Dick Van Dyke always makes me smile. After watching him play the ancient curator in Curious George, it was hysterical to see him playing a similar role all those years ago. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, rent both movies – they will definitely make you smile.)

Steve and I were talking about getting some other Dick Van Dyke movies for Michael to watch (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is now on order) when we realized that in some ways, Jim Carrey is a modern day Dick Van Dyke - very funny and, more importantly, a very good person.

If you didn't see it posted, Jim Carrey has set up a $50 million trust for Jenny McCarthy and her son, Evan. They have been such a wonderful team making people realize that autism is treatable, and raising money for Generation Rescue. I love to hear good stories about them. Plus, it's really wonderful to see someone care that deeply for a woman and her son – especially when the child isn't his. After hearing so many stories of celebrities running amok, it's reassuring to see that there still are a few role models left.

I should be getting my mind back together soon, and hopefully will get back to a better posting schedule. In the mean time, have a great weekend!

No comments: