Saturday, October 4, 2008

Welcome to my life!

I've been reading and enjoying a number of blogs for a while now, and figured it was time to set one up. Please bear with me as I'm pretty new to all of this. I have a pretty full life so I'm not sure how often I'll be posting, but I figure this will be a great learning experience.

Autism
I have a six year old son with high functioning autism. My world revolves around him and his recovery. Due to multiple food allergies and sensitivites, he is gluten/casein/soy/egg/peanut free. We struggle every day, and have small victories every day. Life is never boring!

Healing
We follow the DAN! protocol and have seen tremendous progress with it. When we first started, my son was barely 2 years old, and considered to be 'moderately' autistic. We went to Kennedy Kreiger for the diagnosis and they were a complete waste of time and money. Basically, they told us "I'm sorry, your son has autism. Good Luck, Good Bye." From the time we walked out of their office, we have been researching every treatement out there, and trying the ones we think are reasonable. We are lucky enough to work with two wonderful professionals who guide us through the treatment maze.

Hope
I went to an early intervention conference a few years ago now. The one thing I remember was the response of one parent who was told she was 'in denial' about her son's prognosis. Her response: "No, I'm in Hope". We have embraced that concept and made it our family mantra. We will do everything we can to heal our son, and hope and pray every day. It's working, and life is good (most days).

My Other Life
My day job is to develop applications using Lotus Notes/Domino. I love what I do, and my job keeps me grounded in the 'real world'. Plus, the company I work for has a fantastic work/life balance program. I'm very lucky!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Renee,

Welcome to the land of blogs! :-) Looking forward to your future posts!

Jeanne
CharlieInWonderland.com

Renee said...

Thank you! I'm very excited about this one. I've been thinking about it for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. I'm glad there are so many Mom's out there already to make it easier.